BrynnReadsOn

ReadingOnBecauseIWantTo

I love YA urban fantasy and dystopian. I also read some middle grade and historical fiction. I apologize for any spelling errors. If any of my ratings/Posts don't match up its because I just imported them from Goodreads and need to adjust them.

I'm on Instigram as Readinglife.

These Broken Stars
Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner
Progress: 200/374 pages
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy Book 1)
Sarah Rees Brennan
Progress: 296/370 pages

Attack on Titan Volumes1-5

Attack on Titan, Volume 2 - Hajime Isayama

Attack on Titan

Very interesting premise and highly enjoyable.

I have read a lot of books and again and again I have found a few recurring problems.

1. Unable to connect to the main character

2. Weak writing
  3. Cliché
  4. Annoying main character
  5. Boring Plot

It does not matter if the book is a novel or manga, this can happen to any author and their work.

Attack on Titan contained to following flaws from above:

1 and 4.

I would like to point out Eren isn’t that annoying but after a few volumes, he starts to wear on you.

As for being unable to connect, I don’t really know what to say. I understand Eren’s motives but that’s it. I never really fear for him or want to give him a  pat on the back for a job well done.

Mikasa on the other hand is downright, wonderful. She is strong, calm in the face of danger, and has an unwavering faith in her friends. She is an excellent role model for young women in Japan and anywhere really. (In my limited manga experience the girls never get to do anything. In Vampire Knight, Yuki just looks around wide-eyed and lets the guys fight mutant vampire things. In Death Note, Misa willingly lets Light use her…in fact, the only magna I’ve read that portrays women positively is Fullmetal Alchemist.)

I also enjoyed having Armin around. I liked how he wasn’t physically adequate but was still able to contribute. As a sports disaster myself (not that fighting Titans is anything like a sport) I found Armin’s character to be an inspiration.

So that’s about it for now. Happy reading!