BrynnReadsOn

ReadingOnBecauseIWantTo

I love YA urban fantasy and dystopian. I also read some middle grade and historical fiction. I apologize for any spelling errors. If any of my ratings/Posts don't match up its because I just imported them from Goodreads and need to adjust them.

I'm on Instigram as Readinglife.

These Broken Stars
Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner
Progress: 200/374 pages
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy Book 1)
Sarah Rees Brennan
Progress: 296/370 pages
Panic - Lauren Oliver

Panic by Lauren Oliver

A lot of today’s realistic fiction is about teenagers falling in love and dealing with angst and whatnot. And while there is nothing inherently  wrong with that, it was nice to see something different.

Panic is a wild ride, right from the start.  Heather and Dodge provide engaging narratives.  I didn’t actually care for Dodge. He had his moments but was otherwise much too self important.  When Dayna was playing chess (or was it checkers?) with Ricky, Doge threw and internal fit because oh my God my crippled sister is happy despite being crippled and just why is she so happy and enjoying her life while the guy who injured her is out there with a bunch of cash?

Maybe because she isn’t as caught up in the past as you are?

And then there was that whole  Dodge-Nat- thing. Dodge, her love life is her business. She doesn’t need your approval on her boyfriends (but yeah she probably  shouldn’t have been sleeping with an older guy but whatever her choice).

Heather was much better. I loved how much she doubted herself in the begging and slowly came into her own. It was an amazing experience to read about.

But my favorite aspect of the book was the relation between Heather and Nat.

Whenever two girls fight in fiction, the book and author are shamed for having girl on girl hate. And its usually for a good reason. (constant bickering or snide remarks with/about each other, ridiculously over the top reactions to the other) but Panic deserves no such condemnation. Because teenage girls-and boys-do fight. And then they make up. And repeat. That’s what happens when you put two individuals together. Conflict is bound to happen. But that doesn’t mean that they have to be enemies.

I loved Nat and Heather because they were there for each other, but they fought several times but when one needed the other, they would forget their argument and reconcile, and not in a cheesy, dramatic way. It was a silent healing of the rift. And it was beautiful.

The game Panic itself may have been a little farfetched but then again, it could totally happen. It’s like a really dangerous drinking game (if the game part requires several illegal things).

So all in all defiantly worth reading. 4 out of 5 stars.